ADAPT SMART is a platform funded by the European Union's IMI (Innovative Medicines Initiative) for the coordination of Medicines Adaptive Pathways to Patients (MAPPs) activities, involving multi-stakeholder approaches from research through to treatment outcomes. MAPPs seek to foster access to beneficial treatments for the right patient groups at the earliest appropriate time in the product life-span in a sustainable fashiion.
The European Medicines Agency has just hosted (17th - 18th January 2017) at Canary Wharf in London an expert workshop on ADAPTSMART, with delegates from throughout the European Region, from the Japanese medicines agency and elsewhere.
- appropriate use of medicines
- timely access to innovative medicines and other interventions
- early access medicine schemes
- protected therapeutic schemes e.g. cancer access funds
- compassionate use
- expanded access pathways
- shortened timelines for approvals
- need for cross-border data-sharing and research
- international comparisons for consequences of inappropriate prescribing - non-compliance with treatment guidelines
- linkeing reimbursement to compliance with prescribing guidelines
See more on the ADAPTSMART website about key work packages and other aspects.